« Home | Are our souls so empty? » 

Thursday, February 16, 2006 

My book of rhymes

Thought I had lost my book of rhymes in which I have been doing a little self-discovery. Sometimes you get so busy in life and the expectations that come with it that you begin to forget who you are. It is a painful thing to have to go through because a lot of the times the things that you are now are such a betrayal of the innocence you had, the purity and esteem that you held life in before. But it kinda helps you realise who you are and embrace parts of your evolution.
Am listening to Eric B and Rakim, Paid in Full album. That album off the wall, and full of so many classic rhymes... And he didnt have to swear or threaten to kill someone. He just used creativity, now that is real hip hop right there. I mean what do you do to a rhyme like this from Follow the Leader...
This is a lifetime mission.
Vision a prison. All right, listen.
In this journey, you're the journal, I'm the journalist.
Am I eternal or an eternalist?
I'm about to flow long as I can possibly go.
Keep you movin' 'cause the crowd said so.
Or this from Paid in Full
Thinkin of a master plan
Cuz ain't nuthin but sweat inside my hand
So I dig into my pocket, all my money is spent
So I dig deeper but still comin up with lint
So I start my mission- leave my residence
Thinkin how could I get some dead presidents

That is what real MC'in is all about. The whole album has so many punchlines
and you're like whoa! I mean what happened to being able to rap about rapping.
The skills have just gone missing. The Pitchfork Review(TM) just summed it up
when he said...

Rakim's innovation was applying a patina of intellectual detachment to rap's most sacred cause: talking shit about how you're a better rapper than everyone else. He was the supreme exponent of rapping-about-rapping, an almost lost art now that every MC carries a thousand pounds of crack-dealing backstory around with him.

Rakim immediately projected his self-belief-- not so much messianic as matter-of-fact-- that he was the best. He got away with it every time he opened his mouth and that voice came out: authoritative, burnished, possessing an unflappable sense of rhythm like a drumming prodigy.

And you cant really argue with that. You can read the rest of the review here.
That is the reason for the game and for having my book of rhymes. Let me go and
write something

RIP J-Dilla... will put something on it in a minute

About me

  • I'm zimgooner
  • From Harare, Zimbabwe
  • I apply genius wherever it is needed.
My profile

Previous posts

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates